Recent Comments

• The vast majority of recreational sea anglers fish "for the pot", as polls taken on sea fishing fora such as Worldseafishing.com bear out, and see the commercial fisherman as a threat to this, as they are exploiting the same stocks.

RSA's arguement includes a financial element, borne out by the Caledonian University's study published in 2009, that the value of RSA spend is a greater contribution to local economies than that of commercial fishing.

If, however, other economic factors are considered - for instance the fact that 75% of commercial fish landings are exported, gaining currency, whilst over 75% of RSA equipment is imported, losing currency, the economic justification for preferential treatment for RSA loses credibility.

In socio-economic terms, RSA is substantially less efficient than commercial fishing as a means to supply the population with the fish considered by nutritionists as essential for healthy living.

Add to this the negative impact on the coastal environment of RSA as alleged by various environmental bodies including the RSPB and the Rambler's Association, conflicts over resources with Surfing and other watersport groups, and pollution due to lost and discarded tackle.

The Marine and Coastal Access Act - and it's equivalent in Scotland have created powers to curtail RSA as never before. To this extent it is a copy of the Magnuson-Stevens Act in the USA, against the increasingly repressive measures of which the American Sea Sports fishermen and commercial fishermen have combined to demonstrate in Washington DC on the 24th of this month.

One day, the British RSA's will realise that their interests are closely allied with those of the commercial fisherman, not in conflict.

10 years 22 weeks ago
  • I fish for brown trout, sea trout and the odd salmon. The history of my fishing started when I was 6 or 7 years old, in the ponds of Springburn Park Glasgow. It was exciting if you caught a 'doctor' minnow with the wee bit of red on the belly near the fins and seeing them in a 'jeelie jar' studying their movements, behaviour and reaction to things. But most of all because I JUST LIKED LOOKING AT THEM.

I then adavanced to the forth and clyde canal fishing for perch and roach with bits of bread suitably moulded around the hook, by then I was 9 or ten years old. We stood on the remaining posts of an old bridge that had long disappeared and we were right above them watching them move and take the bait. It was fun and good to see bigger types of fish. I let it go for a while and around 16 I went fishing with my two older brothers who were on a camping holiday at one of their friends' father's farm right on the banks of the tweed at Galashiels. I travelled there by bus for the weekend to join them for the fishing holiday. But the most notable part of the short holiday was whilst travelling on the upper deck of a double decker bus crossing Hynford bridge, en route to Gala on a beautiful May morning; I saw this man standing in the river casting a white fly line across to the far bank upstream of the bridge. The whole scene captivated me, the beauty of sunlit streams that formed the river, the beauty of the spring blossoms on the bushes but most of all the poetry of a perfectly cast line, going back and forth across the river. From that moment I was hooked and that was that. The rest is a journey of continuous excitement,tranquillity,peacefulness, solitude and equally important the joy of discovering the beauty of Scotland and the people I've met and the friends I've made; which never ceases to enrich and delight me.I return home refreshed and ready to build a house, if I knew how to.

Ray

P.s. I popped up to the Spey one year and hired a caravan at the Osprey caravan site, where my older brother and myself used to go for a week every year. On that Occasion there was a married man,about 30 years of age with his wife in the luxury caravan and he came up to me and said 'your the reason I took up fishing, I saw you cast a beautiful white fly line across the river from the bridge and immediately I became hooked on fishing'. I then rememberd seeing and chatting with a young boy about 25 years ago and he was that boy. So it seems there is a natural attraction to the whole scene of a man fishing a fly line on a nice sunny day, as it was that day too.

P.P.s. I finished my journey to Galashiels and caught the three biggest trout of the weekend on the worm at night, near the edge of the river. I was delighted and did notice that my fish were bigger than my two brothers'.

10 years 24 weeks ago
  • There's a really lively debate in the FishingMagic forum on the extent of fishing as a 'high intensity' activity...

10 years 26 weeks ago
  • There's a comment thread on the Maggotdrowner's forum...

10 years 26 weeks ago
  • Introductions

Hi Paul,

I am at present conducting a research project concerning the environmental and economic impacts of sport-fishing in Cornwall. this is for my final year special study project. have you got any info regarding this from the past three years as there seems to be a shortage of materials available.

As with the feature film I would also like some stats on current participation and spend in England as this would help me enourmously.

kind regards and tight lines,
    Eddy Bos
    eddybos@btinternet.com

10 years 27 weeks ago
  • Introductions

Hi Paul,
    We are going to produce a feature film called perfect bait,
    I am trying to find out for my investors some statistics, Can you help,?
    A, Total amount of people that fresh water fish in the uk,
    B, Money generated by freshwater fishing in the uk,
    And any other information regarding fishing that reflects how popular and worth investing in it is,
    Hope you can help,
    Leigh Took
    Greenlight films Ltd,
    My email is helldriven@ukonline.co.uk.

10 years 31 weeks ago
  • Introductions

Hi Richard,

Many thanks for taking some time to complete the angler survey.

The survey, and indeed the entire research project, focuses on angling in England and Scotland. Wales and Nothern Ireland are not the focus of our research simply because of funding limitations.

That said, in no way are we excluding anglers who live in Wales & Northern Ireland from participating in the research. Indeed, we welcome their views!

Hope this answers your question.

Regards,
    Paul Stolk
    Angling Participation Researcher

10 years 37 weeks ago
  • It's one of the most natural thing to do,were hunters!(particularly men)
    Its a challenge
    Its relaxing
    it's a social thing
    it's good fun
    it's healthy
    Its cheep
    What other sport could you see all the things we see?the birds,the animals and the fantastic views over the rivers and lakes first thing in the morning when most other people are still in bed,its an honest sport,you either catch loads or a few or not at all,it doesn't mater what you do if they don't want to feed you wont make them,we have loads of choice in what sort of fishing we do,in my case I can go when I want instead of when it's on or open.
    The anticipation is what it's all about as well as the above,you sit there waiting for a bite,you never know when it's coming,it could be straight away,it could be in a few minutes or it could be a few hours,some times it doesn't' come at all!

Good luck look to you all and enjoy it like I do.

Graham.

10 years 37 weeks ago
  • Introductions

Hi

I've completed the survey but cannot establish if the survey is UK wide or restricted to England & wales.

In any event, good luck with it, hopefully it can produce some empirical outcome/s!

regards
    Richard

10 years 38 weeks ago
  • Introductions

Hi Paul

Nice job.

Good luck and I hope that there are some really good outcomes that will inform those in authority about the way forward. And as the future of angling is actually in anglers' hands (both from the resource point of view and those that will be the anglers of the future) I hope that the research will be widely available.

I'm sure that there will be negativity - I'm sure people will say why is the Lottery funding such research when all they have to do is ask any angler - well here's the opportunity for those angers to contribute - i hope you get a good response.

Maddy